Sure, this article has been written to death. But time and time again I hear strong pushback from clients on ‘why should I use Instagram for my business?’ I can at least share why we use it at Digital Noir and why I recommend most of my clients do also.
I hated Instagram when it launched and became a rapid, viral success. I am a keen photographer and learnt my trade on film. Photography is an art and the craft of producing a beautiful image requires many skills. Anyways, I thought Instagram was some hipster crap and cheating. Numbers, however, do not lie. When the Yellow Pages became the no.1 place people went to look for phone numbers, you had to be bloody sure your number was included. People are not looking at the Yellow Pages anymore. Actually, that analogy pretty much sums up the only reason your business should be on Instagram. Everyone is there.
The push back that I hear mostly regarding social media is: “It doesn’t work for my industry”. Sure, Instagram as a platform is easier for a cafe or a wedding photographer or a digital agency, whose world revolves around ‘image’. That being said, any business can share their marketing messages and expertise in a visual format and it is the perfect channel to take your customers behind the scenes. The most common goals for any Instagram strategy are:
- Showcase your products or services
- Build your community
- Increase awareness of your brand
- Showcase your company culture and values
- Advertise to potential customers
- Increase brand loyalty
- Share company news and updates
You just need to allocate someone the task and set up a framework of the types of things you would like to post/share about your business. Some simple ideas that any business can use are:
- Quotes about your service “In 2016 our Company saved X amount of people X amount of money”
- Repost content from people in and around your industry
- Experiment with User Generated Content (ask your customers to get involved, one of our client’s BUNKERS does a great job of this)
- Behind the scenes shots of your work place (people love to see behind the curtain)
Instagram is rapidly growing in Australia, the numbers do not lie and the way that people are using it is very positive for business.
- 46% of Aussie social media users are on Instagram
- 5 Million active users (30% increase in the last year)
- Instagram users check their accounts on average 38 times a week
- 50% IG users follow at least one business and 60% say they learnt about a product or service through the platform
- 20% of IG users are there to find out about a brand or business
- Successfully stole Snapchat’s only really good feature and are now owning it (Instagram stories) source
- Advertising platform
If I told you that 80% of your demographic was going to be at a trade fair, you would book a stall. The one thing you need to do is be smart about it. Hard selling does not work on social media. It never will, not if sales retention is your thing anyway.
Be creative with your pitch. Provide value. Start a conversation. Help someone out. You will be surprised at what can happen.